2024 is a year that looms large on any American calendar. But given the political system in the United States, spectators know that November 2022, will be as important for determining the future fate of America as the next presidential election.
Join us on November 10th for a town hall in collaboration with the Rode Hoed and De Groene Amsterdammer to analyze the 2022 Midterm elections with a rolling panel of experts. Journalist and America correspondent Casper Thomas will begin the evening with a discussion of his new book, Amerika’s Laatste Kans (America’s Last Chance), and introduce the themes for the evening.
At stake? Two competing visions of the United States, each one a different ongoing experiment vying for control of the future. Ever-growing divisions in society have led to increasing social unrest: how to address the (inter)national impacts of Black Lives Matters, and Roe vs. Wade? And what about the undeniable impact of populism on the US political system, or the position the United States takes on the global stage?
Our panel of experts for the evening includes:
• Andrew Makkinga, presenter and political commentator
• Casper Thomas, author of Amerika’s Laatste Kans and US correspondent for the Financieele Dagblad and De Groene Amsterdammer
• Katy Hull, author of The Machine has a Soul: American Sympathy with Italian Fascism and lecturer at the University of Amsterdam
• Albertine Bloemendal, Americanist, Radboud University
• Roberta Haar, Foreign Policy Analysis & Transatlantic Relations, University of Maastricht
Moderator: Eelco Bosch van Rosenthal
In collaboration with: Rode Hoed & De Groene Amsterdammer